Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Utopia.

Would you move to Utopia given the chance? I wouldn't. This is my reaction to Utopia in terms of moving or not...continuation of discussion in class.
I would not move to Utopia. More speaks of being equal but for some, equality is not deserved. If I worked to reach the status I held and worked for what I got, I would not want someone who didn’t work to be the same as me. I’d like to keep the status I earned through hard work, preservation, and determination.
I would not want to leave all of my belongings behind. I’ve accumulated things that make me Kate as materialistic as that sounds. It’s a way I express my individuality. Also, I’d have to give up my laptop that holds my poetry, essays, stories, and novels that are so very important to me.
I endure that self-expression in Utopia is lost. I would not want to wear the same clothes as every other single or married woman. Not everything looks good on everyone. I love my clothes and appearance. Maybe it was different back in Henry VIII’s England but now I would not move to Utopia. I thoroughly think I’d stay even if I lived in Henry VIII’s England as well.
In regards to moving every couple years, I am convinced I hate moving. I’ve done it so many times that people may think I enjoy it but I don’t. When I find somewhere I like, I’d want to stay for as long as I thought proper. I don’t remember if I read this or not but isn’t it that people could just go into your house in Utopia? I wouldn’t want that either. More must have been on something or very open.
Along the lines of war and invasion, Utopia seems very protected but I don’t doubt some of the things like equality for all would go over well and that could very well cause a civil war.

In terms of religion, I do not think Utopia is very religiously diverse place where you could be something other than Christian. I, personally, take a lot of theological teachings and combine them. For example, I follow the teachings or Buddha but the religion of Christ.
Having to share all of everything would be hard. I wouldn’t want someone who didn’t work for their food to just take the food I grew, made, and cooked.

On the other hand, some of the things I like are that it would be a fresh start and you’d always have someone there for help. I like that there would be no poor and no rich. I only care about effort.

All in all, I know I wouldn’t go to Utopia no matter if I was living now or in Henry VII’s England.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up some good reasons for not moving to Utopia. I wouldn't go, either, although I might have during More's time if I were very poor or otherwise in some sort of difficult situation.

    ReplyDelete